Monday, August 2, 2010

My One and Done of "The Incident"

Okay Kings fans, we all know that over 2 months ago Kings guard Tyreke Evans made a horrible decision. He was drive on California State Highway 80 going at speeds reported as high as 130 mph. I will be the first of Evans' fans to say, "What the $%*! were you [Tyreke] thinking?" Anyone who lives in the Sacramento area and drives on I-80 knows how dangerous it is at the posted 65 mph speed limit, and going as fast as he was in any circumstance was not smart. Those speeds are reserved for NASCAR races, and Tyreke is no NASCAR driver. Thankfully, not he or anyone else was hurt or killed in the incident. This is the only time I plan to fully offer my opinion for all to read about because the story needs to die.

Last night I was Tweeting with Doc Evans, Tyreke's older brother and legal guardian, this conversation on Twitter sparked numerous others that I began having last night. The majority of this story has been brought back up because Evans' NASCAR audition reel was released by the California Highway Patrol (bad move by the way). To add more fuel to the fire, Sacramento Bee "writer" Alien Voisin has written and article I refuse to support by linking you to. Check out anything she's written in the Sac Bee and you will see why. Voisin appears to have something against 20-year old Evans. She put him on blast in her recent article. What I don't understand, and there's a lot in this case, is this: 1: How can the Bee allow her to publish the articles she is posting that are clearly clouded by her personal dislike of Evans? 2: What is her problem with him? 3: How does his speeding incident affect his ability to lead, even play the game? I have a speculation on 2 of these questions. It is no surprise that in the 2009-2010 NBA Draft that Kings fans and area sports writers, including Voisin, wanted to draft Rubio. Well, I for one was not one of these people, but upon disregarding fans and reporters wants alike, the Kings took the best player in the draft, evident by his Rookie of the Year honors. It has been speculated that Voisin is taking her anger for snubbing Rubio out on Evans, and for what? I can honestly not see Rubio in a Kings uniform even if we had taken him. A better team drafted him, did he really want to play for the worst team in the league? He won't come in from overseas and has yet to play an NBA game. This season looks to be no different. So what, if the Kings had stuck with Voisin's choice and the fan favorite, we'd be lacking a guard for 2 seasons...and still sitting in dead last. As I told Doc Evans and other friends last night, "Tyreke revived Kings Fans, he saved this team and I will gladly take +8 in the win column and Rookie of the Year over a player who has yet to prove himself on any NBA team." So my advice to Voisin, who has to be the only one in Sacramento still upset about the pick of Evans, "GET OVER IT! WE STRUCK GOLD!" Now, her opinion that his lack of maturity in this incident somehow means he is no longer the 20-5-5 player he was just 4 months ago, cannot lead the team, and should be suspended. Well, I assure you that his incident has nothing to do with his basketball talent. Tyreke has demonstrated his will to improve his game, making the questions about his lack of a work ethic absurd. I know he made a mistake, he knows he made a mistake, everyone knows he made a mistake. He has apologized for his lack of judgement and as far as I know Kings fans have forgiven him. He has received his punishment legally and personally. But it's time to move on.
And that is my one and done on this incident. LET IT DIE!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment