Monday, August 30, 2010

August News and Rumors

Well, the wait for the season opener is slowly making its way to an end...thank goodness! August has been a pretty quiet month as far as moves goes.

Let me start off with the bad news...Tyreke Evans received a one game suspension from the league for his off court issues back in May. We all know what that was and know that I am not discussing it again. The silver lining to this is, our first game is against the Timberwolves who have landed themselves at or near the top of the "worst teams" lists published by numerous sources.

Better news: I have read numerous articles from different sources. Some of these articles are publishing their lists of the worst teams for next season. The Kings are nowhere to be found on these lists! YAY! The Top 150 Fantasy Value Player List held 5 current Kings players including rookie DeMarcus Cousins who has yet to play an official NBA game. Then there is the top 50 players article recently read, only one player landed on this list reigning Rookie of the Year, Tyreke Evans. The Kings are anticipated by many to be in playoff contention as early as this season!

Rumors: Now we all know that rumors are just that...but one that seems to have a little bit of weight is that of the potential trade with Denver Nuggets to acquire Carmelo Anthony. By weight I mean that it's technically possible and not a rumor like I am suiting up for the Kings next year. The Kings have been reported as one of the top three teams that the Nuggets (Not necessarily Anthony) are willing to deal with when it comes to trading Anthony. Now, the Kings would have to secure an extension prior to any possible trade being done for Anthony as his contract would expire after this season and we will be out a super star and a handful of young assets that are no doubt fan favorites. To make this deal even hypothetically happen, Anthony has to agree to an extension, how long no one knows, but one would have to believe it would only be worth it for a multi-year extension of 3-5 years. The Kings would have to give up the young pieces that we are so fond of. The key to the future of the Kings is this young up and coming lineup that is being created. It is also possible that the Kings could bundle expiring contracts of Dalembert and Landry along with some young players, future draft picks, and/or cash options for Anthony.

While picking up an All Star like Anthony is what Kings fans have been itching for, for years now, seems like a great idea, it makes me nervous. I am what I would refer to as a "nervous sports fan". I have a vested interest that goes beyond just knowing the sport and who is on the roster. I live for basketball season. I become attached to players and when they get packaged off for new ones, no matter who the new guys are, it still stings a little bit. Every year come off seasons, and trade deadlines I find myself holding my breath waiting for deadlines to pass, keeping my fingers crossed that I won't lose my favorite player in the swaps. I am worried about what players could possibly be lost if this trade were to go down! Either way, "In Petrie We Trust" right?

No comments:

Post a Comment