Friday, December 24, 2010

Kings Continue to Struggle

Last night was the first night I have attended a game since the beginning of the season and I must say, the team I saw last night was not the same team I saw battling at the beginning of the season.

Fans are crying foul when it comes to head coach, Paul Westphal; rumors are spreading like wild fire, as they always do about near and imminent firings. Just to clarify, this blog is not spreading those rumors or supporting them. According to numerous sources close to Kings owners, Joe has vehemently denied such reports that one or both of the Westphal Petrie pair will be gone in the coming days or weeks and has been reported as saying they are in place for the rest of this season.

Last night the Kings needed a win, the fans needed a win. The Bucks were short handed last night and it makes no sense as to what is causing these late game collapses. While this time we never saw a 23 or 14 point lead disappear, it still stings. These second half "slumps" as some are calling them, I say full on collapses make no sense. I am thinking that the Kings need to just sit on the bench for half time...Put up a screen, wall, a sheet whatever else around them and let them have their half time on the court! After last night's behind the scenes tour of ARCO it is easy to believe that the team that goes in after half gets lost in all the hallways, stairwells, and elevators that lurk beyond the tunnels! The team that comes out after half changes, and not for the better. Last season the third quarter was the teams Achilles heal. This year it seems that each quarter gets its very own heal. I can't figure out if it's the third quarter or the fourth that plagues the Kings more. It may be a combination of both, half of one quarter half of the other! Either way it's becoming disheartening. Last night it took Tyreke until the final 2:00 of the game to score his first point. Yes, that is right. Tyreke Evans didn't score a single point, take a single free throw, nothing until 2:00 left in the 4th quarter. That cannot happen. Once again, Beno Udrih was the team's offense, but just like Tyreke, Beno cannot do it all. He needed help last night and wasn't getting it consistently. The effort seemed to come too little too late last night for the Kings.

I have been a Kings fan for more than 10 years. I carry more than just your basic knowledge of the team and I am much more than the casual fan. However, even I am finding it difficult at times to defend my fan status, but no matter what I am a Kings fan! All I really wanted for Christmas was a Kings victory last night. I know I am not alone in that either. I am hoping that Santa sees past the arguing, the unsportsmanlike conduct, the attitudes, the struggles and says that the Kings have been good boys this year and brings them something tomorrow that gives them back that unity, that chemistry, the heart, the competitiveness, whatever it is that it takes to give this team the win that they so desperately need; that the fans need!

No comments:

Post a Comment